Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Why I am Running for City Council


I am running for City Council because I love Eureka and care greatly about what happens in this very interesting and likeable place.

Nine years ago I chose Eureka as my home when I could have chosen to live anywhere. I chose Eureka because I noticed some unusual characteristics that I thought would make Eurkea a great place for me, a retired city and environmental planner, to live. I noticed that the location of the city on the shores of Humboldt Bay portended low-tech economic and recreational opportunities and great scenic beauty.

I recognized that Eureka was built as a compact urban place with some of the most outstanding architecture of the 19th century that I have ever seen (and I have lived in beautiful large and small cities: Georgetown and Foggy Bottom neighborhoods of Washington, D.C.; North Beach in San Francisco; Springfield, Ohio; Pacifica, CA.; and Kodaikanal, India).

I noticed that Eureka is surrounded by ranches and farms and open spaces that are backed by more distant mountatins and saw that they are close enough to be accessible by trails for walking. hiking and biking. I noticed that the climate is cool and damp and has produced a lush forest and meadow landscape crossed by many rivers. I noticed that the local beaches are almost unused by people, sea and sky are wrapped in a misty, foggy, opalescent brightness. I also noticed that although Eureka is sadly lacking in neighborhood parks, a network of gulches criss-crosses the city along natural creeks that keep these areas green

Some of the first buildings I noticed in Eureka's downtown and West Eureka made me wonder why a city blessed with such a beautiful setting and features also included large severely blighted areas in such highly visible areas of the city. While Eureka's houses are almost all attractively designed, their conditions are often shabby and neglected--often exceedingly deteriorated. The neighborhoods where these neglected houses stand appeared to also be forgotten. I noticed that there were few trees and a lot of concrete and asphalt, no planter strips for street trees and no boulevard or divider strips in the middle of wide streets. I also noticed that there were no people about.

However, I did not think these problems were insurmountable and they certainly did not encompass the entire city. As a consulting planner I had worked on what we called "conservation areas" to remove blight and make rundown areas of a city liveable again in several cities. A city with so many natural and built assets can only change for the better, I thought.

Several indicators of what is wrong became apparent after I moved to Eureka. I discovered that the people of Eureka and their leaders did not aspire to anything great happening in Eureka. There was a kind of resignation and indifference to trying to make things better, as if Eureka was somehow an inferior place or backwards compared with the rest of Humboldt County. There also was a sentiment that Eureka needed to remain that way so that it could be affordable to those who have nowhere else to go. I heard people refer to Eureka as Butt-reka and Freaka-reka. Sone people in Arcata told me that there are no neighborhoods in Eureka. A woman at a public hearing on the Waterfront Drive plan told me Eurekans had no right to complain about traffic on 101 because they had wanted it to go through Eureka. I could go on and on about the horrible stones thrown at Eureka but fortunately I found that even though I live in West Eureka I have wonderful neighbors and I certainly consider my home to be part of a neighborhood.

I believe it is my right as a resident of my city and my neighborhood to let the city officials and staff know when there are problems in the neighborhoods or the city as a whole and to try to find a way to solve them. There are many problems, just as there are in other places too. However, some of the city officials and staff do not respect this right of the citizens and do not welcome citizen participation in government. They give lip service letting people testify about their concerns and then move on without discussing or thinking about these problems.

I am running for City Council because I believe all of us can help solve problems and I welcome new ideas and old ones too. I believe citizen participation is an important element of planning and governing and, if elected to the City Council, I will always be available to listen and consider the thoughts of others, particularly the residents and workers of Eureka.

5 comments:

Leila said...

I'm so glad you're running. Vote for Xandra everybody! Eureka needs her BADLY.

Sarah said...

Xandra,

I hope that you won a seat on the council. Your vision of the town seems to incorporate revitalization and community.

I am actually curious about how one goes about converting a town such as Eureka into a "slow city" or a revitalized and beautiful place to live. Your description of Eureka is almost exactly as I have described my current home in an article that I am preparing. Right down to people calling the town assorted names. I am writing an article in the hopes of gaining some camaraderie within the town or county. However, I am hesitant about writing an article of "displeasure" without providing examples of what I am interested in accomplishing, how to go about accomplishing it, and how it helps everyone in the community. "Slow Cities" seem to be a good direction for towns to move and we are located outside of the DC area, so a "slower" life might be a selling point.

I live in the fantasy of a beautiful, tree-filled community with organic gardens, and gorgeous houses, but I understand that this takes time and commitment. I am a realist when it comes to the prospect of changing a town and understand that jobs and budgets are necessary and important items to consider. My question is, how does one go about even starting this change. I am a hydrogeologist and have no understanding of city planning or the workings of government so I have a serious knowledge deficiency and can't fathom how to go about changing a mindset that sees a town as a "pit". I have tried working within the council once or twice and it is an arduous task to accomplish even the smallest change. I am hoping there are ways to work both within and outside of the council and mayor to bring about change. Could you give recommendations for methods to accomplish such changes, do I require assistance from a city planner, are grassroots methods effective, etc. My hope is for a town that supports a vital community with work, artistry, shelter, food, beauty, and entertainment. I would like to preserve and improve what is here before developers take all that is unique in the area and turn it into another "bedroom" community of sprawling developments.

Thank you for any information and good luck with Eureka.

Sarah

Anonymous said...

I wish I could have voted in Eureka's election! (I live in Manila and therefore can't vote for Eureka city council members). I just randomly found your blog and you share many of the same ideas that I've had for Eureka over the years. I'm considering buying a house there now, but I'm afraid of where the town is headed. I wish there were more people in Eureka who thought rationally about the future of the town. Right now it is just a real cluster-f---.

Anonymous said...

Well done. Citys like that really needs people like you, that not only speak, but act to make things better, hope you win and help this town.
(ABA teen 5 prof.Sandra)

Anonymous said...

I wish you can win and help this town, I really like people like you who don't stay in home waiting for the things hapen